Sr. Accountant / Business Systems Analyst
We are currently working with a non-union, privately held nutritional food producer to identify an Assistant Controller. For over 20 years, this company has been focused on making tasty, nutritional “better for you” snacks and bars. Starting from humble beginnings, they offer a highly ethical workplace where work life balance is a high priority from the top down, employees and the environment are supported, and everyone is encouraged to have a voice and share their ideas.
The ideal incumbent for this opportunity will have a strong understanding of manufacturing processes, cost accounting, ERP systems and end user needs, and bring a blend of accounting, finance, and operations experience to the table. This direct hire opportunity offers a competitive base, bonus potential, and full benefits package.
This small to mid-sized company offers an environment UNLIKE that of a large organization where roles tend to be highly specialized, focused, and repetitive day to day. If you’re about to yawn from boredom after reading that, this might be the opportunity for you!
Here, employees flex their roles and expand beyond the scope of their core job duties. There’s always something new coming across your desk to keep things fresh and interesting. And we’re looking for a special someone who wants the freedom to think creatively, generate bold ideas, and work cross functionality within the operation to drive improvements and impact the entire organization.
As the Assistant Controller, in summary, you’ll provide cost accounting and business systems analysis in a multi-national environment and manage, develop, and coach a team of 2 staff accountants.
Accounting tasks, such as ensuring accuracy of GL & financial statements, account reconciliations, budget forecasting & variance analysis, review & approval of weekly vendor payments, and assisting with year end close tasks and CPA prep work, as well as profitability and cost analysis activities, are all important aspects of this role.
You’ll also have a strong focus on business processes, problem solving, creating efficiencies, and driving improvements. In a small to mid-sized company, it’s important to think outside of the box, and there isn’t an SOP for all situations! Some of your work in this area will entail:
- Working in depth in the ERP system, liaising between the ERP system and end users to recognize their needs, and developing solutions to improve efficiency.
- Creating workbenches and dashboards for KPIs.
- Troubleshooting ERP-related issues.
- Drafting user guides and testing for new version of the ERP system.
- Assisting with selecting a new MSP and computer system setup.
- Providing a variety of as needed analytical support to management and in support of process and cost improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree – ideally in Finance, Accounting, MIS, or Computer Science.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting/finance/operations, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of cost accounting, financial reporting, management information systems, and manufacturing processes.
- A balance between being analytical / detail oriented and having the ability to see the bigger picture, properly assess situations, and find technical solutions to business process challenges.
- Advanced usage of financial software packages, databases, and MS Office Suite.
- Ability to be bold (!) and generate creative ideas geared at performance improvements.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate, relate, and build relationships with others.
- Pre-employment requirements include a background check and drug screen.